Can you Believe It!?
We have lettuce NOW!
The high tunnel is producing the freshest lettuce right now. Come to the store dawn to dusk and pick up a head. You’ll find the following items there also. Don’t forget the eggs while you’re there!
Potted Mixed Herbs
Apple Cider Jelly
Shelled Pecans in 1 pound bags
Store Hours for produce, eggs: 8:00 a.m. to dusk.
Call for information: 812-933-0661
Join us on facebook!
ABOUT OUR PRACTICES/PHILOSOPHY
Natural farming practices are used at Michaela Farm, where synthetic pesticides and fertilizers are not used. In order to sustainably grow produce for both today and the future, we practice a variety of soil maintenance and pest control methods. To maintain and improve soil conditions we use mulch, compost, animal manure, green manure, crop rotation, and cover cropping. Insect barriers, crop rotation, and companion planting help protect our crops from insects.
Vegetables: Along with providing for the Motherhouse at the Sisters of Saint Francis and a local CSA (See CSA page), we also provide produce on site in our Farm Store throughout the growing season (generally May-October). Vegetables are harvested multiple times per week from the two acres of gardens on the farm.
- Produce: see what’s available at the top of this page. Available seasonally in our Farm Store
- Examples: Acorn Squash, Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Butternut Squash, Sweet Corn, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Dry Beans, Eggplant, Garlic, Green Beans, Kale, Kohlrabi, Leeks,Lettuce, Onions, Peppers, Pie Pumpkin, Potatoes, Radishes, Rhubarb, Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watermelon, Yellow Squash, Zucchini
Herbs: Herbs are grown throughout the farm as companion plants to reduce insect pests along with harvest for human consumption.
- Produce: fresh herbs are available seasonally upon request, while dried herbs are available much of the year
- Examples of fresh herbs: Basil, Catnip, Cilantro, Dill, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Stevia, Thyme
- Examples of dried herbs: Basil, Camomile, Lavender, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Stevia, Thyme
Fruit: Nearly an acre of orchard space and berry patches are located around the farm and fruit is harvested at peak maturity.
- Produce: available seasonally in our Farm Store
- Examples: Apples, Blackberries, Cherries, Elderberries, Gooseberries, Paw Paws, Peaches, Pears, Persimmons, Plums, Strawberries
Flowers: In order to spruce up the interior and exterior of your home, we also provide a variety of flowers for sale in our Farm Store. We also offer a variety of annual and biennial transplants for sale in the spring.
Chickens: Laying hens are a vital resource at Michaela Farm as insect foragers in our summer pastures. When not at work in the pastures, they roam within their protected yard and henhouse where they feast on a diet of grain, vegetables, mineral supplements, and oyster shells.
Eggs: available year round in our Farm Store
Bees: Honey bees locally located to Michaela Farm provide honey for our patrons and pollinate local crops. Honey is seasonally available in our Farm Store in one, two and three pound jars.
For further information call the Farm Office at 812-933-0661.