Every year the Sisters of St. Francis sponsor a scholarship for latinx students who are interested in attending a Catholic high school and would like an opportunity to apply for a scholarship. Please read below for information. The attached links below will give you all the information you need regarding the scholarship and application.
This scholarship is named in honor of Sr. Carmen de Barros who was born in Cuba and came to Marian College (now University) in Indianapolis as a student in the 1940s. For several years she was in ministry in Chicago at a House of Discernment for Hispanic women. She and other Sisters of St. Francis of Oldenburg, Indiana have been in ministry with Hispanics in parishes, migrant camps, and in El Paso. In the past we were mostly in educational ministries; now one way that we continue these ministries is through this scholarship that aids Latinx youth in receiving a Catholic high school education.
This is an annual $750 scholarship for a maximum of four years depending on the continued financial need, a satisfactory academic performance commensurate with ability, and a satisfactory student conduct record.
What are the requirements to be eligible?
- must be an Eighth Grade Latinx student applying to a Catholic high school;
- must have a minimum average grade of “C” ( or its equivalent );
- must submit a statement demonstrating financial need;
- must submit two recommendations – from a principal, teacher or youth leader;
- must submit a short explanation telling how you are living at least one of the Hispanic values.
- must fill out the student application form.
All completed applications must be received by March 27, 2020. If any form is missing, the application will not be processed.
They are to be sent to:
Attn: Sr. Noella Poinsette, OSF
Sisters of St. Francis
PO Box 100
Oldenburg, IN 47036
Any questions? Contact Sr. Noella at firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 933-2409