The Romanesque basilica-like chapel was built in 1890 and renovated in 1990. Massive granite pillars from Vermont support the structure. Marble flooring from Tennessee, stained glass windows from Munich, Germany, cast bronze Stations of the Cross, designed by an Italian artist in Milan, and pure Carrara marble statues are part of this beautiful prayer space.
The newly-elected General Council for the Sisters of St. Francis for 2012-2018 was installed at a Eucharistic Liturgy on Sunday, July 1, 2012. They are: (left to right) S. Mary Beth Gianoli (councilor), S. Joanita Koors (councilor), S. Marjorie Jeanne Niemer (first councilor), and S. Maureen Irvin (congregational minister).
The General Council is composed of the Congregational Minister and three Councilors. The Council is elected for a six-year term, and is charged with responsibilities of spiritual leadership and the overall administration of the congregation and its assets.
The motherhouse Sisters are committed to prayer, presence and service. They are busy about the many tasks of community life and are concerned about the needs of many beyond the Village of Spires. Participating in letter-writing resulting in political change for justice, volunteering in special projects, assisting in local needs, and supporting others in their ministries are of high priority.
The renovated St. Clare Healthcare facility houses our infirmary. It has three levels of care and is staffed by professional, practical nurses and nurse aides.